Friday, August 12, 2016

Australian Road Signs

Something that I've unexpectedly found quite different from the United States is the Australian government's approach to road safety. To begin with, I've been warned that speed limits are strictly enforce-- Tiantian told me that she'd gotten slapped with a multiple-dollar fine for going 5 km/h over the limit! But of course that can happen in the US too. However, Australians don't mess about with their warning signs, which are somehow both entertaining and disturbing. Take a look at this one I found at the train station:

Some of my favorite highway warning signs include "Drive N Text, U B Next", "Drink Drive, Die in a Ditch", and the rather succint "No Seatbelt, No Brains". Not quite the same as Georgia's friendly "Buckle Up: It's the Law!"

Another factor to remember is that Australia has some rather different wildlife than other places I've visited, some of which constitutes a road hazard. Among others, I have seen crossing signs for lizards, snakes, kangaroos, and cassowaries. Here's a particularly famous sign (slightly modified from its original form), found up in Daintree:


1 comment:

  1. "No seatbelt, no brains"
    Road safety is paramount
    No compliments here!

    ReplyDelete