To begin with, the weather has not been nearly the arctic blizzard I was warned about by friendly Sydneysiders: just chilly enough that a warm fireplace (or radiator, as the case may be) and a cup of hot coffee can never go amiss, but not cold to the point of pain. But the other morning, after falling asleep to a truly incredible gale, I woke up to find snow on the ground!
| The mountains were beautiful in the mist |
Of course, it didn't last past lunchtime.
By the way, here's the view from my office window:
I don't ever want to leave the mountains.
The work atmosphere here is great, and extremely social. I've had to set an alarm on my phone for morning tea at 10:30, so I don't forget and work through it! The week is packed with all kinds of astronomy colloquia and group meetings that go way over my head, but that's ok. This Friday was our fortnightly BBQ lunch, which I helped out with-- lots of fun!
By far the best part of my experience (aside from maybe kangaroos) has been the people. Everyone has continued to be very welcoming and made an effort to include me things. Here's an (incomplete) list of the people I've gotten to know so far:
Tiantian: A postdoc from China originally, though she worked for Dave (my research adviser) in Hawaii for grad school. She's super nice and very honest about everything, which makes for entertaining conversations! She runs marathons, so training takes up a lot of her spare time and she loves to debate advantages and disadvantages of various diets. Also, Tiantian recently took a course in coffeemaking and would love to work as a barista-- which means that everyone else gets free and delicious coffee while she practices her skills! Also, she hates onions. With a passion.
I-Ting: Just graduated from his PhD program and left with his girlfriend for Germany a couple of days ago. Though I won't be seeing them again, they were great people! Unfortunately, I don't remember the girlfriend's name, as I paid more attention to the pronunciation (which they said I nailed) than remembering it! They're from Taiwan, and we had some really interesting conversations about Taiwanese politics-- I learned tons. Last weekend we had a BBQ at Faulkner Court (where I live) in his honor, and since apparently everyone is moving away they dumped all their food on me so I'm eating free for a week!
Melanie: A masters student, born in Munich, but she's lived in Brisbane most of her life. She's really sweet.
Dipanjan: Just met him today! He's from Kolkata and just got back from Paris. He and Tiantian and I got lunch and then went on a hike around Stromlo today.
Our hike was awesome. There are loads of trails around Stromlo, and people come up here frequently for hiking, biking, and-- now-- Pokemon Go. We walked for about an hour, getting back right as it started cooling down from the mid-60s.
| It started, as one might expect, with kangaroos |
| Hello, kangaroos |
| Hello, lying-down kangaroo. You look like Faith. |
Sorry, I really like kangaroos.
| A lot of the paths were actually fire trails |
| One more kangaroo picture, sorry |
| You can still see remnants of past fires |
| Eucalyptus trees are actually pretty hardy though, so there are a lot around! |
| Not kangaroos!! They're wallabies |
| Although they belong to the same family as kangaroos, they're smaller and have different markings |
| Random sunset picture from my room |
| Look at how pretty the birds are! |
Parrots on a wire
ReplyDeleteWallabies willoughbying
Isn't it just grand?