There were plenty of distractions from the feeling of death gradually creeping up from my lungs: various red and green parrot species swooping in front of me; magpies that fortunately were not breeding at the moment (they can become quite territorial and dangerous); wallabies watching my panting efforts inquisitively; and of course, the ubiquitous kangaroos, of which I probably passed fifty or more. And everywhere the scenery was just gorgeous.
One of the characteristics I appreciate most about my surroundings here is how much they change day-to-day. Today the mountains were incredibly soft, almost like they were a painted backdrop, and blue. They actually made me think of the Blue Mountains near Sydney, which supposedly get their misty blue qualities from the oil exuded by the eucalyptus-- given how many of the trees there are here, perhaps that's why!
The trail is charming, alternating between wooded areas and clearings. For the most part, the mountains are all visible in the distance, and as you come around the far side of Stromlo the city of Canberra appears, nestled in the valley. In the afternoon, the setting sun shines just right so that the entire valley glows golden, and the effect is stunning.
On my way back from marveling at nature, I passed a kangaroo lying down quite daintily (front paws crossed in front of him) just outside of the building where I work. Once I got to my place, I picked up my camera and ran back but of course he'd moved. I did get to see him stretching himself out and cleaning up after his Sunday afternoon nap.
Notice the ruffled fur and leaves still stuck to his thigh.
I then proceeded to sit down in the middle of the road in front of Faulkner Court and film kangaroos for half an hour. The obsession continues.
How can you not be obsessed when watching this cuteness overload though?? Today's theme is mother and joey, by the way.
| I love the arm just hanging out |
| Zoom in and look at how casually he's chilling. This baby kangaroo is so much cooler than I will ever be. |
Does the video quality suck generally or is my internet bad? The originals are actually quite good...
ReplyDeleteNo, they're fine.
DeleteKangaroo chilling
ReplyDeleteJoey eating from her pouch
Oh, is my arm out?