Sunday, April 9, 2017

Wow Much Science

If you've attempted to speak with me over the past couple of weeks, you've probably received a pretty generic response: "Sorry, I'd love to catch up, but not this week!" So I guess I should tell you why I've been so busy lest you think I just don't like you. (Also, this is your official notice that I'm now available for talking once more!)

Last weekend was the college's annual Rites of Spring, basically a huge party/concert/drinking fest that I don't partake in. But it was also Rites to Play, a huge children's carnival held right here at Rhodes. Dozens of student organizations bring activities for the kids, and I was responsible for coordinating the volunteers and demos from SPS. Here are some photos!





Also, I made liquid nitrogen ice cream at Rites to Play, and it was sooooo good :)

Then, this weekend I had another event to coordinate. You may or may not have known that last semester I wrote a proposal on behalf of the Rhodes SPS chapter which brought us funding to host an egg drop for girls. The idea was to encourage girls ages 8 to 13 interested in science, let them experience the Rhodes atmosphere, and provide a free and fun activity for a Saturday afternoon. The girls used the provided materials (cardboard, straws, rubber bands, tape) to construct a protective case for their eggs, which we eventually dropped from the sixth floor of Rhodes Tower to see which ones survived! The lightest case that allowed the egg to survive was declared the winner. Take a look!










The megaphone gave out halfway through, so I had to shout all the announcements...

Checking for breakage!



All in all, it was a very successful event, especially since we'd never hosted an egg drop like this before! Now I just have to write the followup report...

One other thing, totally unrelated: you have to watch this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment