Today we decided to go to the 37th annual folk festival put on by the Folklore Society of Greater Washington, and it was a fun little adventure. The festival was held at Glen Echo Park, which provided a great staging area; there were picnic tables, hamburger stands, outdoor stages, indoor dance spaces, and all kinds of craft booths. We passed barbershop quartets, gospel choirs, and jazz bands. We saw traditional dances and watched English country dance lessons. We even got to see a glassblower at work!
 |
| Merry-go-round! |
I think my favorite part of the festival, though, was the crafts section. They had all kinds of handicraft goods, from clay pots to carved gourds to glass jewelry. I wasn't able to get photos of a lot of them because the artists didn't want their work online, but I have a few!
 |
| These clay flowers were incredibly lifelike. |
 |
| There were lots of traditional wooden instruments as well! |
Also, this morning I went to Mass at St. Stephen Martyr Church (11 o'clock) and I just have to mention that their choir is phenomenal. The entire time I felt like I was in a professional choir of angels. So if you ever need a church in D.C., 10/10 would recommend!
Such pretty flowers!
ReplyDeleteAnd the dulcimer display...
Did you go dancing?